Thursday, December 8, 2011

Singer 99 Memphis (Sphinx) Treadle Sewing Machine


My new baby is older than I am by around a hundred years. It's estimated to have been made between 1895 and 1920, with the closest guess being 1904. I bought it today in less than admirable cleanliness from a gentleman on KSL, and I am so proud of it that I have to share pictures. I cleaned it up and polished everything I could. You'd hardly recognize it from the first picture I saw of it.

I think I am going to start collecting vintage sewing machines...

5 comments:

Sun Child said...

We've had the same model in our family for 12 years. I found this website, maybe it may help you narrow down your guess on when it was made by looking up the serial number on it.

http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial-numbers

Thanks for your post!

Sherri said...

Hi there,

I just saw this post while looking up pictures to try to identify the machine I just bought today.

Just wondering what you used to wash/clean/polish your machine? It looks amazing!

The one I just bought definitely has been sitting around for years without being touched because it is very dusty and dull! However, there is a piece of duct tape holding the one throat plate down, so I must have been used since the invention of that! lol

I will also have to try to find something to remove the adhesive without ruining the gold detailing or the wood finish.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Sherri in Ontario, Canada

Unknown said...

Beautiful machine but it's not a 99. It's a model 15. Always if the tension assembly is on the face plate it's a 15.

Unknown said...

I have the same gold print on my machine but it sits in a different table does this mean anything or do the tables different a little my table has 6 draws in total 3 on each side of the machine they all have little brass handle

Unknown said...

I have the same gold print on my machine but it sits in a different table does this mean anything or do the tables different a little my table has 6 draws in total 3 on each side of the machine they all have little brass handle